Monday, November 5, 2012

Election 2012: Persian Carpet Editon*

As you already know because I have endlessly belabored the point, I'm having a hard time choosing a rug for my living room.  For some reason this seems like a matter of national importance, so I've decided to put it to a vote.  Loyal readers, I need ALL THREE OF YOU to weigh in.  Seriously.

As in all elections, there are several important factors to consider.  Sadly, SuperPAC money is not one of them, although I am presently accepting donations-- we have a lot of, um, infrastructure projects to be funded around here.  Anyhow, without further ado, I present your two candidates:

1.  BA-RUG OBAMA
 And yes, I know the living room is messy.  Try really hard to just look at the rug.  I had to grade 120 compositions AND 120 exams this weekend, so I didn't really get around to tidying up. 

Like our present Commander-In-Chief, this option is large, crazy-busy, and really bright.  In fact, it's so bright that I can't decide if it's awesome-bright or scary-bright.  We had it down on the floor for a few days, and I have to admit it made me happy every time I walked into the room, but it's heavy on the hi-liter orange and there's even some hot pink in the mix.  That seems like a HUGE color commitment for someone who can't even bring herself to wear a yellow sweater for fear of seeming too bold.  

(And it looks terrible with the old brown sofa, which is soon to be replaced by this baby (or something similar) in charcoal-gray velvet.  Love its midcentury-ness and the fact that it can be used as a traditional three-seater or a sectional.  Paging Garth Algar: schwing!) 

Which brings us to our next [p]residential hopefuls (see what I did there?)...

2.  MITT RUG-NEY and PAUL RYAN
 Sorry about the lighting and the blurring and the blah blah blah blah sweatshirt on the dhurrie footstool. 

This one's a little older and quite a bit more conservative than the first option, and if I were voting my wallet it'd be the obvious winner (it was $200 cheaper than Ba-rug).  It's presently sitting atop its sisal running mate, Paul Ryan, so named because it is... boring.  And Mitt Rug-ney couldn't be successful without it-- it adds a little substance (and dare I say style?) to his campaign.  The colors are way less fun, but there's a cool Southwestiness to the whole thing.  

So, my fellow Americans, designers and decorators, devotees of Elle Decor and House Beautiful, please vote.  Your country needs you.  And also, please tell me which rug I should keep, because I really don't know.  And feel free to write in the name of a third-party candidate (perhaps Thom Filicia for Safavieh?)... 

*Lest you think I'm so indecisive about the general election, you should know I mailed in my ballot last week-- no in-person voting here in Oregon.  And you all know who I voted for anyway.  Especially if you have access to my Twitter feed.

3 comments:

  1. I dunno Em. I like them both, but I think I'm leaning toward the larger, brighter one. My thoughts: You don't like the sisal. Don't force yourself to like it like diet soda or reduced-fat cream cheese. I know the brightness of the first one scares you, but think of all the burlap, white, grey and black accents you can do that will keep the room toned down but pop against the rug. Then again, this is coming from a someone who wore teal velvet heels at her wedding and still wears her bright yellow "feet first, first time" shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like BA-RUG OBAMA. From the picture, the majority of other pieces in the room are neutral, so the rug is both accent and centerpiece. When I looked back-and-forth between both picture, I was always smiling at the first one! I think the complexity and traditional feel of the rug's design balances any brightness (I'm assuming it looks brighter in person?). The second one seems more dated where the first one is hipper (without worry of dating in the future) and more compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ew, my comment was rife with spelling errors.

    ReplyDelete