Monday, January 28, 2013

Ace of Baseboard

Check out these photos (taken sometime in October or November) of our bedroom.  Notice anything weird about them?



I mean, other than the cords hanging all over the place...




...and the fact that I didn't move the box fan, and that there's a giant old-school TV in there.  But other than all that stuff.  Notice anything strange?


That's right-- there aren't any baseboards in there.  You can see a faint line on the wall where they used to be, but they ain't there no more.  There aren't any in the second bedroom either.  We're guessing that at some point a previous owner installed baseboard heating (you can also see its imprint on the east wall of the master) in the bedrooms and used the woodstove to heat the living room.  (I'm not 100% sure why adding baseboard heat to one wall necessitated the removal of all the baseboards in the room, but whatever). And then the next owner did us a solid and got a furnace and put in some ductwork and removed the baseboard heaters.

Call me traditional, but I feel like a bedroom needs baseboards.  Every time I walked into the master I kind of felt like I'd caught it with its zipper down or something.  Like, I'd walked in on it getting dressed.  I don't know.  Anyhow, we replaced them on Sunday.

Here's what it looked like after we pried off the paint-splattered quarter-round:


Then we spent a truly hilarious hour cutting all of our boards to length (and to their proper 45° angles, of course).  You see, it was raining (duh) so we didn't want to go outside and use our circular saw, and that meant we had to rely on our little miter box.  Unfortunately we were unable to photograph all the insanity that ensued as we tried to 1) hold long pieces of molding level, 2) brace the miter box so it wouldn't move, 3) keep the molding pressed tightly against the back of the miter box, and 4) actually saw through the stuff-- I'm sure there's an easier way, but we prefer to make things complicated here.  Cuts done, we construction-adhesived and finish-nailed the molding to the walls.

Today I caulked all of the seams, and when the caulk cures I'll give it a nice glossy coat of trim paint.  And then I'll have better photos.  See, I'm concurrently in the middle of another project whose results I'll reveal by the end of the week, and maybe by then I'll have the wherewithal to find the actual camera instead of relying on blurry iPhone photos.  Til then, here's a crappy shot I took to text my mom in Virginia so I could show her our progress.  It's Ray nailing in the molding on the wall behind the headboard, and you can see some finished (well, except for the paint) work in the background:


Anyway, better photos to come.  And once I've painted it and picked up some new curtains and curtain hardware, the master bedroom will be finished.  At least until I decide I want to paint it again.  

And hey y'all, thanks for your endless patience with my lack of photography skills.  It IS endless, right?



2 comments:

  1. Looks gorgeous! I'm so impressed with your patience at home renovation, knowledge of tools and processes, and top aesthetic picks. WOW!

    ReplyDelete