Friday, January 18, 2013

Win Some, Lose Some: Decor Edition

This post begins back in December in Richmond, VA, when I dragged my husband into U-fab.  If you read YHL (and you do, obviously) then you're familiar with U-fab, and I thought I'd take the opportunity afforded me by the Transcontinental Christmas Tour to stop in and check it out.  A staff full of hipstery girls and cute fabrics = my kind of scene, so I couldn't leave without buying a yard of this cool greige ikatty stuff:   


 ...even though I was literally thousands of miles away from my house and had been for nearly a month.  I thought it might look cool with my rug due to the orange / cornflower connections.  But I got back here with it and it quickly became obvious that this fabric is freaking hideous with my rug.  Like, SO bad.  

But still and all, I really like it.  So I decided to turn it into a window treatment for the bathroom.  

[I know, I know, the bathroom.  It's all I ever talk about.  Bathroom, bathroom, bathroom.  Sorry-- we all have our flaws, no?]

I only had a yard of the stuff, so I went for the faux-roman shade look that you've already seen on every blog you read.  I decided to line it and hem it nicely in an attempt to make it look a little less homemade.  Two sewing machines later (the first one shat the bed about halfway through the project, but that's a story for another day / several more cocktails), I ended up with something that, on its own, is pretty cute.  But it is SO DAMN UGLY in my bathroom that I can't even bear to post a photo.  And I guess it's okay because the total investment on the project was, like $12 (one yard of fabric-- I already had everything else I needed) and probably two hours of sewing / hemming / pinning / stapling the fabric to the 1" x 2" pine I was going to use to attach it to the wall).  But still, I hate failure.  At the moment I'm contemplating ordering a couple more yards from Fabric.com and making two more to match the first, all of which I could then use on the three windows in the kitchen.  I don't know.

But as any Bradley Cooper / Jennifer Lawrence romantic comedy would tell you, every playbook cloud has a silver lining.  (Too early for Oscar jokes?)  And mine was a nice sunny day.  Well, it wasn't sunny, but it wasn't pitch-dark.  Do you know what that means, dear readers?

CLOSET PHOTOS!  Not one but TWO passable closet photos:


And a close-up that doesn't involve Ray's soccer and running shoes:


 Still have a bit o' staging to do in there but when it's winter in Oregon you have to strike while the light is good.
 



1 comment:

  1. That fabric is ADORABLE. And... maybe someday in 2013 I'll open the sewing machine my Grandy gave me for Christmas 2011...

    ReplyDelete