Friday, February 8, 2013

Guest Bedroom Inspiration

Since we're pretty much dead in the water reno-wise at the moment, I thought maybe I should use this space to make some plans for the sad-clown guest bedroom I'm half-done painting.  As stated in previous posts, the walls were in completely wacky shape and, though I've first-coated them, they're definitely going to need another pass with the trusty roller.  And I've been having a tough time psyching myself up to move all the furniture again.  Also, I desperately need to paint the super-shiny and yet also dirty yellow ceilings.  And I hate hate hate hate hate painting ceilings.  Blergh.

Anyhow, here's the paint color (technically it's Behr Pensive Sky, but its street name here at our house is Groban) for your consideration:




It's kind of greige, but there's also some blue in there.  It's really soft and pretty and it looks nice and fresh with out white-white trim.

Current plans include navy floor-to-ceiling hidden-back-tab curtains I'll be making out of this fabric:


At least, I think I'll be using that-- I ordered a yard of it (should be arriving, along with some very cool navy ikatty stripe I'll be using to make cushions for my dining chairs, on Monday) to make sure I like it, and if it's as cool as I think it'll be, I'm going to go ahead with it.  I feel like I need to stick with navy in any case, since there's so much navy in the rest of the house.  Plus I'm kind of a navy-blue-aholic.  That's right-- I'm addicted to navy-blue-ohol.

Here's where I stop knowing what to do.  EVERYTHING looks amazing with Groban and navy.  The room is presently populated by a bunch of dark wooden furniture that I no longer love but still totally need (all bought right after college from the now-defunct Bombay company.  Classy, right?) and an IKEA PS Lovas futon with a white cover.  Someday I'd love to get a real bed for our guests to sleep on, but until we're ready to invest in one, we'll have to keep torturing them with our futon. 

And the futon's gonna need some throw pillows.  Here's the question: what's the best color to complement my Groban-navy-and-white scheme?  Presently in the running, in no particular order, are:

Kate-Spade-y kelly green:






Bright poppy coral:





 This soft orange-- I have no idea what to call it.  Sherbet?  



Can you tell I'm geometric-fabric crazy and I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE SPENT ONE MILLION YEARS GOOGLING FABRICS?  I'm losing my mind.

Anyhow, since for now it's kind of my girly-room (I keep my clothes in that closet so I can get dressed for work at the crack of dawn without waking the sleeping man-beast in the master bedroom, and I also do my makeup and hair in there) and it might someday (someday-- don't get all excited) be a nursery for a child whose gender we won't know until it's born, I'm kicking around the idea of a large capiz-shell chandelier like this one from World Market, which would have to be mounted pretty much flush so you could still walk under it (in case you don't know us, we're tall):

 And rug-wise I'd like to find a flat-weave navy-and-white something like this cheap-o from Urban Outfitters:


 Too much geometry?  Am I crazy?  I don't even like math.

1 comment:

  1. #1 my wedding colors are white and navy. with pops of fresh green. so. great minds.

    #2 I believe that sherbet color is "tangerine" or something equally citrusy. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete