Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ask And Ye Shall Receive

So, remember last night how I was saying I wanted a midcentury six- to eight-drawer dresser for my guest room?  You know, something long and low with tapered Danish-modern style legs?  Something like this, maybe:


That's right, ladies and gentlemen-- craigslist has been kind to me once again.  Literally seconds after I posted last night, I checked the local furniture listings (like I do every couple of days because you just never know) and there it was-- long, low, six-drawer, tapered-legs (adorably offset so the back legs are set wider apart than the front ones) still sporting its original 60's brass hardware.  It set me back $50, which is crazy-awesome since it's vintage Bassett and in gorgeous shape.  We picked it up at 5pm today and I'm so in love.  As you can surely tell (and are obviously already admiring), it fits perfectly in front of the big window on the south wall of the room without blocking any of the glass --it's exactly sill height.  Now I just have to figure out what the deuce to do with the rest of the furniture in there...

And I hate that lamp (love the shade, hate the base) but I have my eye on a pair of these sexy coral/driftwood-base babies I found at TJ Maxx earlier today:


Love the squared off, vaguely Asian-looking plinth and the stylized, sculptural base-- plus they have nice fabric drum shades.  Sadly, they are $40 each, and I might be too cheap to buy them.  Then again, I could totally talk myself into it.  Next up: curtains, rug, art on walls, cute slipper chair, khbfljsadnshbfnvgv I am full of ideas.

Also, I found for your viewing pleasure a photo of what the guest room looked like on the first day we ever saw it in early June of 2012:

      

...And now you know why we didn't realize that these bedrooms didn't have baseboards.  Anyway, please try to ignore all the clutter (erm.) and look at how far we've come.  See how enormous and saggy those cheap blinds were?  Check out the tan ceiling.  And if you look very closely at the very top border of the photo on the right-hand side, you can see that the vent cover was dangling from one screw.

Sometimes I feel like we'll never, ever, ever be done with everything we want to do in this house, and then I see photos like that one and I remember that we've come a very long way in a short period of time.  Go us!  

And the electrician is coming tomorrow to rid the guest room, bathroom, and dining room of their hideous fixtures!  YAY!  Exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment