Sunday, March 24, 2013

Moving Right Along

I'm in the middle of, like, a million projects at the moment, but I thought I'd take a break from doing my final pre-paint finishing on the bathroom ceiling and show you what's happening in the guest bedroom.

After transferring all of my clothes out of the old dresser and into the new, I enlisted Ray's help to move the old one into the third bedroom, where it will hold our out-of-season stuff and Ray's soccer gear.  Then I moved the new dresser from the south wall to the west one, and here's what we're working with now:



Pardon my Nikes and that storage bin under the futon. I still don't really know what to do with all this crap, and just as soon as I think of something I'll move it all.  See that pillow on the futon?  I made it out of the sample yard I ordered of the fabric I'm thinking I'll use for the curtains in here.  What do you think? 


And the southwest corner.  I don't know what to do about the art in here-- the white piece with the round navy design is a blueprint for the Rotunda at the University of Virginia, where Ray and I met in grad school.  I bought it for $20 from Etsy, but I can't decide how I want to frame it, so for now it's dry-mounted and sitting on the floor.  The map (a One Kings Lane impulse purchase) was going to go in the dining room, but I can't make it happen in there.  Maybe it'll wind up in here, maybe it won't.

That chair actually goes with my tiny desk/vanity, but I'm hoping to get an awesome upholstered slipper chair or something to go in that corner and I thought I'd see how it felt over there.  I'm thinking something along these lines:


World Market Fern Floral Erin Chair

Not the right colors, but I'm crazy about the shape, and I think its traditional turned legs and caster-feet would play nicely with the new midcentury dresser.

Or this:


World Market vintage Floral Gray Reading Chair

I kind of love the palette here, but again, probably wrong for the space.  Super-cute shape though.  

This would work-- it also comes in about a million colors, including a nice navy:

 Urban Outfitters Madeline Chair

And this has a really cool shape and comes in a really nice soft orange:


Urban Outfitters Modern Chair

Anyway, here's a wider view from the doorway to help you envision what I'm talking about / smell what I'm cooking / pick up what I'm putting down:



Progress is slow but we're getting somewhere now.  Oh, and this thing:


  

My vanity table / messy beauty basket.  I think it's going to get a coat of white or pale gray paint (I'll be looking through the thirty-six million paint samples I've brought home from the Home Depot) and maybe painting some kind of geometric Hollywood-Regency-esque  design on it.  I've been feeling kind of inspired by some awesome makeovers of the IKEA Rast dresser, like this one:


I love absolutely everything about this photo, and you should really click through to see all the other awesome things people have done with their Rasts.  I'm kind of contemplating getting a pair of them to use as nightstands in our bedroom-- we really need more storage in this house-- and a quick Googling of "IKEA Rast makeovers" yields about a million and a half reasons to buy them (they're only $30 a pop, and if that AT post wasn't enough to convince you, check Pinterest).  

Here's a slightly more literal inspiration photo of a Regency-style console table like mine:


Isn't that darling?


No comments:

Post a Comment