Friday, June 14, 2013

Mock-up


I've done it.  I've bitten the bullet and ordered the midcentury-looking reversible-chaise sofa I've been eyeing / drooling over for two years:




Sort of.

You see, I ordered it, but clubfurniture.com will not start manufacturing until I give the okay.  Yesterday I received a ton of fabric swatches (about 1" x 3") from them-- which is all well and good, except I thought I was going to be receiving a larger (like, at least 6" square) swatch of the fabric I'd ordered for my sofa (which-- and this may surprise you-- is not the awful teal shown above).  So I called them and asked them to send me that instead.  Because hello, people-- fifty 1" x 3" swatches in a whole bunch of crazy colors entirely unrelated to what I want isn't going to help me make this decision.

Anyhow, I was checking out their website to see if I could find a picture of a sofa-- any sofa-- in the fabric of my choice, I discovered that I could save around $600 if I just give up on the reversible chaise idea.  I found this sofa:



Which I think is probably upholstered in the fabric I'm ordering.  And then I was all like, wow-- I really like that sofa.  And it's $550 cheaper than the reversible chaise one.  And I'm not really at that point in my life where the extra $550 doesn't really matter-- in fact, I sincerely doubt that I will ever arrive at that point.  But I have always wanted a sofa with a chaise, because (for reasons that are entirely obscure even to me) the idea of stretching my legs out in front of me while still facing the television is, like, the height of my aspirations in the world.  

Since it's not too late for me to change my order, I have a couple of days (until my swatch gets here for approval) to decide.  I called my mom for advice (full disclosure: I do this daily.  I'm thirty-one.  Sorry Mom!) and she suggested moving the furniture around the room to sort of mock up how it'd be with a chaise so I could decide how much I really loved it that way.  I may have mentioned this before, but my mom is brilliant, y'all.

Behold my mock-up:
 



I used my West Elm dhurrie ottoman, placed about 10" to the right of my current sofa (since the new sofa will be about 10" wider) help me visualize the whole situation.  A few more photos:


The whole room as seen from the dining room:



Most of the room as seen from the front door: 

 

Where's the yellow corduroy chair that is totally getting reupholstered this summer, you ask?  Here:



I like it there.  

Actually, I like this whole arrangement a lot-- it feels like it makes sense.  But as you may have noticed in some of these photos, the side tables on either end of the couch create a bit of an issue:




When you walk into the front door, quite a bit of your immediate view is a big ol' lampshade pretty much right at eye-height.  I thought I'd solve this problem by moving the lamps to a long, narrow console table to be placed behind this sofa-- I've been lusting after this not-cheap shaker drop-leaf one:


-- but this morning I tried making a mock-up and putting the lamps roughly where they'd be if I got the table above, and they look exceedingly weird silhouetted against the big picture window.  Like, just bad.  So bad I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture.

And I'm definitely not down with getting smaller / shorter lamps-- my grandmother made those mismatched fire-extinguisher lamps, and together they comprise one of The Coolest Things I Own.  They couldn't possibly go anywhere else in the house.  Those are dedicated living-room lamps if ever I've see such a thing. 

So what to do?  To chaise or not to chaise?  What's the answer to the lamps / table(s) conundrum?  How great would the chaise sofa look with a round coffee table like this vintage Lane Acclaim one?  




Help meeeeeeee!




No comments:

Post a Comment