Friday, June 28, 2013

What Do You Call A Guy Who Hangs Out Against The Wall?*

Pardon the spotty posting-- we've been on the road.  But I did squeeze in a few quick photos of some progress in the dining room before we skipped town, and I thought I'd save them for a rainy day.  And today's rainy, so here goes:



 From the fireplace hearth:


From the front door:


From the kitchen, a better shot of what's actually hanging in there:


Top left and bottom right: two pieces of wrapping paper I bought for $5 each in a Portland gift shop-- the top left is a reproduction of a vintage tourism poster for New York (a special place for us because we've spent a fair bit of time there, got engaged there, etc etc etc), and the bottom right is a map of Paris with drawings of all the monuments drawn on in their respective locations (we have no connection whatsoever to Paris, other than the fact that Ray got mugged in Montmartre and I once got stuck in De Gaulle airport for like 15 hours, but the poster is pretty and it cost $5).  They're in IKEA Ribba frames ($24.99 apiece, so the total investment for these two big pieces of art was $60).  Bottom left: a painting I painted of a lighthouse near our place on the Chesapeake Bay framed in wood my dad salvaged from the deck of an old Navy ship.  Top right: A funky vintage map of the Lewis and Clark trail, found pre-framed at the local antiques shop for $29.  

I'm not quite done yet-- under the Paris map I plan on putting a little bench we can use for extra seating and accessorizing it with a stack of books and perhaps a vintage oscillating fan since we don't have air conditioning.  On the hunt for the right bench even as we speak!

*Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment