Sunday, July 28, 2013

Refresh

My dining room chairs, purchased from Craigslist for $20 apiece last fall, have been many colors.  They were red when I bought them, and then I tested two different shades of gray before realizing that I needed to stop trying to make gray chairs happen.  Gray chairs are not going to happen, Gretchen!

So yesterday I picked up a few cans of Rustoleum in Heritage White.  After a quick sanding, my first chair got what I hoped would be a nice, flaw-hiding coat.  Except white spraypaint doesn't hide flaws:

Pardon the dizzying bird's-eye angle.

See all the splits in the wood there on the top rail?  Se how the reed-strapping is starting to unravel in spots?  I don't know how old these are or who manufactured them, but these babies are showing some mileage.  

I thought I'd do a little experiment, and before I sprayed the second chair, I sanded it thoroughly and used half a tube of wood filler on it.  I filled the unpaintable gaps around the rattan joints and forced putty into the splits and dings (the chairs are made of really soft wood).  It took, all told, a couple of hours.  I was kind of hoping it wouldn't make much of a difference so I wouldn't have to do it three more times.

Of course, it made a huge, visible-to-the-naked-eye difference.  The refurbished chair is (obviously) on the right:


Back detail, un-refurbished:


Back detail, refurbished:


Better.  Now please excuse me while I go buy more wood filler.

PS: Found a gorgeous cotton blanket in TJ Maxx that perfectly matches my nightstands.  I bought it:


I love you, TJ Maxx-- two x's and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment